Carlos from Spain:

True, in the cat and mouse world of doping, the drugs being used and how they are used are always one step ahead of the tests, so the doping tests are always having to play catchup because the tests are at the unfair advantage of having to first discover the substance, then proving it is performance-enhancing, and then to be able to test for it, which is not always posible depending on how/when its taken, traces it leaves, false negatives, etc.

There is so much money in profesional sports that competition is such that everybody uses drugs, its just that very few get caught and are made an example of, but all most sports are mostly dirty... sad.

So when I see something like this pop in the news I don't blame so much the athelete but rather the sport, because I would be being hypocritical if I didn't put the same blame on all the other tenis players as well.

What really gets me is when non-profesionals use performance enhancing drugs, that is beyond sad, like when you see so many in the gym that you can recognise physically as using steriods...you are better off spending your time in therapy to find out why you would need to inject yourself with steroids for cosmetic reasons  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

There isn't a whole lot of difference between guys using steroids to look better, and girls who have eating disorders.  Something about body dysmorphic disorder. They can become psychologically addictive as well. You see lots of younger guys in the gym who are clearly abusing steroids, and most probably don't care what that will do to them when they hit their 40s. I knew a guy who abused them along with insulin, tamoxifen, clenbuterol and other drugs. Now, he's a 40-something fat diabetic with joint problems. Having said that, I think they can provide some positive benefits when used in moderation and correctly under some kind of medical supervision, and not by people who are too young. The problems occur when mega-doses are used in conjunction with other drugs to maximize their anabolic effects. Studies have shown some benefits on quality of life from moderate testosterone therapy in older guys. As for pro sports, well, either everyone should get to use them, or nobody. SNL had a skit one time about an "all steroid Olympics" which was pretty amusing. And when it comes to body builders and fitness competitors and magazine models - if you're making a living with your body, you're probably on something.