DocMo:

Hi 911 lovers,

I am excited to write my very first post after years of lurking around here and into my second Porsche ownership.

I just bought a 991 GTS coupe and got lucky to try the new 991.2 S and the old 991.1 S before making my final decision. In summary these are my observations during the comparison tests and after 1000 km with my 991 GTS:

> Esthetics : very close no winner here it's a matter of taste. I believe the old 991.1 is "classier" and more posh, kind of British touch especially on the rear and profile views. Personally, I think the 991 GTS is the most beautiful car in the current 911 offering. However, the new proposed Vintage colors are really sexy.

> Interior : almost no difference. I like the new smaller steering wheel in the 991.2 unfortunately the plastic feels a bit cheap in the driver hands (reminds me of my Golf R-line steering wheel ;). I think Porsche should have made some effort to make the interior of the new car more high end to justify the price increase and keep up with competition. They will probably do so for the next generation...

> Chassis and handling : (all cars had pdcc) if you really push them in mountain roads the 991.2 S is the winner vs the 991.1 S.  Not a major difference but you get a slightly better steering feel and the car is more "planted" with less body roll. However the 991 GTS with pdcc and sport chassis is even better than the new 991.2 ( I guess rear steering could make a huge difference here but couldn't try it).

> Engine : it depends on how you drive ; if you like low end torque, no hesitation go for the new Porsche 991.2 S it will be much more fun and easier to drive. Yes I did feel a slight turbo lag even if it's one of the best Turbo cars I have ever driven. If you like engines with a "soul", engines that make you work a little harder, engines that you can connect with, again no hesitation keep your old 991.1 or get yourself a 991 GTS before it's too late (Trust me this is a future classic). Above 5000 rpms the old engine is just fantastic and you will never get that with the new 991.2.

> Sound : exhaust and engine sounds in the new 991.2 S with PSE are very good...for a Turbo car. I did enjoy it, but still very civilized and "polite". So if sound is not your most important criteria you will be very happy with the new 991.2S with PSE (a must have). The old 991.1 S with PSE has a fantastic engine and exhaust sounds even below 4000 rpms. I would pick It over the 991.2 S only for the sound. The 991 GTS sound is in another league (in my opinion event better than GT3 sound below 8000 rpms ;). 50% of my decision to buy the GTS is due to its fantastic sound. If you add an aftermarket Xpipe with valves to the GTS you'll be in heaven each time you're above 5000 rpms, pass through a tunnel or downshift (my benchmark is the Ferrari 430 and 458, and I can tell you confidently that it sounds almost as good but with 4 seats;)

> Speed : if that's the most important criteria  for you get a Nissan GTR ;). More seriously the 991.2S is clearly above the 991.1.S. and at par with the 991 GTS.

I can summarize my drivIng tests in one sentence: "the new 991.2S feels faster and the old 991.1S or the GTS feel more special". No right or wrong choice it's just a matter of what you're looking for. Personally my 991 GTS is a keeper especially with its new "bestial" sound as my mechanic would describe it. 

Cheers from Geneva.

Welcome, DocMo, good summary. Smiley

I have to admit that I kind of regret not getting the new 911 R but I needed a daily driver and a convertible (wife) and since the convertible also makes the sound more enjoyable, I haven't regretted my choice at all.

Yes, if Porsche decides to offer the next GTS with a turbo charged engine (and unfortunately it seems that way, not 100% sure though, just 90% Smiley), the current GTS is going to become an instant classic. Bad for 991.1 Carrera S owners, good for us GTS owners. Smiley Twice, people approached me to tell me that my GTS is the most beautiful Porsche 911 they ever saw (funny, my car is black with black wheels and has black Alcantara and red stitching, so nothing out of the ordinary). I guess people love it "simple". Smiley

Xpipe? Well, besides possible warranty issues (Porsche is very anal about this stuff), I don't see the need for one. My car is already way too loud for German roads, I get a middle finger or a raised fist every time I fully accelerate, so... 

We should all meet once in spring or summer, we are planning/saying this so many times over and over again and it never happens. It would be amazing to do some nice driving around some passes, nothing dangerous, just for fun, for taking photos and to enjoy ourselves. I will try to find a date where most people find the time to join, it should be possible. Would love to meet you guys (and yes, even Bluelines Smiley Smiley).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)