Posting up some pics and thoughts from the Rolex.  

Lamborghini had a significant presence this year, both on the track and in the infield.  Also, it was my first time seeing a 918 and a GT3RS in the flesh.  The RS looks huge next to the Huracan!  Also saw many of the Porsche team up close, including Dr. Walliser and many of the drivers in pit lane prior to the race, Brendon Hartley, Lucas Luhr, Rubens Barrichello, Boris Said, AJ Allmendinger, Sabine Schmidt, honestly, just too many to list.  Daytona does a great job getting the fans involved for this race.

There was a lot of hype around the Ford GTs, but they suffered with reliability, every time we turned around they were in the pits or the garage for something.  I've heard a lot of complaints about the sound and I will admit it is somewhat strange not hearing that V8 rumble, but for a turbocharged car, they rivaled everything else out there in terms of loudness.  I think it gives the car some character and the ground literally shook each time they passed by, I mean, who doesn't like that?? Smiley  The new 488s on the other hand could hardly be heard, very disappointing coming from Ferrari.  Don't get me wrong, they look fantastic, but you need to hear that glorious Ferrari sound around the high banks and it just wasn't there.  If Ford can do it with turbos, why can't Ferrari?  The GTLM class was fantastic, just a half a car length separated the Corvettes at the checkered flag.  The Porsche was right there with about 30 minutes to go, but didn't have the pace at the end.  The top class went to a Ligier Honda P2, they were looking quick throughout the race so its no surprise that one took the win.  

For me, it's a mixed bag in the GTD class with the new GT3 cars, I love the fact that we have more manufacturers, but again the sound and emotion at high speed on the banks just isn't what it was last year.  The Lambos sounded like they were gasping for air and the Porches had the flat 6 wail, but at a toned down level.  Around the infield, is a different story, you can hear the character of the engines as they accelerate around corners.

I didn't take time out to do it, but Mazda had a cool autocross out front with their MX-5's, it would be cool if Porsche would do something like this, even if it were just a ride along.  Also, there were flat screen TV's all through the grandstand areas where you could grab something to eat and catch up on some of the action.  This was the first race in Daytona after completing the renovations in the grandstands and I have to admit, they did a great job.  

All in all, it was just a great time, if you have a chance to go, I would recommend it.