Carlos from Spain:

Two worngs don't make a right IMO. Sure that fixed flat fine will not have the same punishment effect on a rich person than on a poor person, but that does not justify trumping the right to be equal before the law.

Smiley Exactly what I mean. Smiley

How absurd this laws are actually shows what happened to a guy I know, he is not rich but works as a simple employee at a pharmaceutical company I have contacts to: One day, a VW T5 bus hit him on a boardwalk, it wasn't his fault, the driver was only 16 years old and had no driver's license. His parents have eight(!) kids and are both unemployed, the car was not insured(!). Now this whole thing went to court because that guy I know was hurt badly, he couldn't work for six months, he had to pay many bills for recuperation, lawyer, etc. and health gymnastics by himself because his (state controlled) health insurance won't pay for it and the accident insurance only the medical part of it.

Bottom line is: Since there was no income, "my" guy had to pay a couple of thousands of Euro out of his personal pocket. That family and that boy did not get any punishment ("there is nothing to get from them..." according to his lawyer and the judge) and since the whole family is in a bad situation, the boy didn't even get jail because the judge said it would hurt the family and wouldn't help the boy at all. They didn't even made them sell that sorry ass old T5 because the judge said they need it for the family (several minors) to buy groceries, etc. because they were living outside the city.

So what did that 16 year old boy learn from that? Simple. He drove without a driver's license, he hit a person, he drove with a car without insurance and he got away without any kind of punishment (oh well, the judge made him promise to not do it again... Smiley).

Sorry guys but when I hear stories like this one (and it is 100% true, not something you read on the internet Smiley), I get so upset.

Equal before the law? Nah. If you're rich, they bust your ass. If you're poor, you're in luck. Talking of equality. My ass. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)