bluelines:
WAY:

Not an expert by any means, but two observation here:

1. Hans is a relatively recent invention. I don't think too many racing drivers died of neck breaking in the many many years prior in motor racing?

2. We are talking about road legal speeds here. I would have thought a 6 point harness and roll cage would be safer than airbag no? At least in my country where road speed is only up to 110kmh. 

1.Is is a 30 year old invention. See here for details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device and a list of "famous" race drivers who died from neck injury.

2. You have close to zero elasticity with a 6-point harness and the deacceleration force on the body is quite different than with a street legal 3-point belt. This in particular can cause fatal neck traumas. The full roll cage does make the car more structurally strong, but the front section of the cage can cause head trauma if you are unprotected without a helmet. You can Google all this if you want the facts. Or you could listen to the forum expert who knows everything better than all of us together Smiley  

So maybe you can answer this: Why is there a Hybrid available for 3 point belts? Smiley 

How many cervical fractures (oops...forgot...snapped necks) have you seen in road car accidents with airbags? Little hint: There are many. The airbags do not protect from this kind of injury.

You claimed that the GT4 Clubsport is not as safe as a GT4 because of the lack of airbags. Remember?!

Also, you would never get a street legal certification by the TÜV with a full roll cage going near your head, only for the back part of the car.

I kind of have the feeling that you are talking safety standards on track cars and I am talking about using a racing car on a public road with the proper street legal certification mods.

Also, again, you were talking airbags and now you are talking HANS. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)