RC:

Have you owned an older 911? I remember my 993 pretty well and it felt completely different (in a bad way) compared to the GT4. The GT4 feels actually like a 911 GT3 with some minor differences in the steering (I think).

I've owned two 1973 911's and one 993.  As much as I think the GT4 is an excellent modern offering from Porsche (best one in years anywhere near the price), there are some things that I prefer about the older ones (liked my 73's much more than 993, btw).

There was a big part of me that was hoping the GT4 would be good enough to make me forget about keeping my old 911.  I would love to just sell it and move on (needs a very expensive new motor) - I have been offered quite a bit of money for it, even in its current state (not running).

But, I think I'd regret it terribly, so now faced with finding a way to fix and keep it instead...  And to be fair, it is so heavily modified that it doesn't drive anything like a stock 73 (though my original 73 S 2.4L was lots of fun too).  I've never driven anything so responsive with such incredible feedback.  Driving it sideways on the very limit is so easy and intuitive - can totally steer it with right foot and slight steering corrections.

BTW, I understand why you guys in Germany aren't as interested in the older models.  Having driven there for a month, I can't imagine driving an old car like that on the autobahn and Nordschleife.  But on the slower roads of Colorado and Switzerland, they are plenty of fun (and at the local track where speeds are far lower and run-offs far more generous than NoS, being nimble and tossable is a great deal of fun without high risk of death).

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550