LP997:

http://www.automoblog.net/2015/10/21/porsche-911-r-gets-gt3-engine-manual-transmission/

So let me see: Porsche put a 991 GT3 and a 991 GT3 RS with PDK on the market but they would build a limited edition 991 R (or whatever) with GT3 engine and manual transmission? Does this sound right to you?

I know that during 991 GT3 development, Porsche also had some GT3 running with manual for comparison/testing purposes. I also heard that there were big challenges with AWS setup, one major reason Porsche didn't offer manual for the GT3.

Now if Porsche decides to build a manual GT3 without AWS, well...why not. The new 991 is also available with that combo (manual/AWS). However, I doubt this car will have the track performance of a GT3/GT3RS, so I still doubt that Porsche would do that. AWS plays a huge role in the improved handling performance.

I rather think that Porsche will put a 991 R with GTS engine, maybe 10 or 20 horses more and manual on the market, if this car will have manual. It will cost Porsche much less, it will still be fast and if production is limited, well...

Still, I wish I could be excited about this model but I'm not. Why? Even if it would be a car with manual and GT3 engine, the price tag will be beyond good and evil. So it will very likely end up in some collection, not really what I had in mind when I wished for such a car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)