RC:
reginos:
JimFlat6:

11 million consumers defrauded is no small matter. The final fix will either be expensive buy backs or expensive modifications that might give owners less efficiency and performance. IF VW chose to due what t hey did to avoid having to license adblue technology from benz, then likely Piech knew of it. Since Wolfgang Porsche is the chairman of the VW investigative committee, you never know what family squabbles will be resolved under cover of this self created catastrophe.

I own two TDI cars and I don't feel defrauded. As a reasonable man I can understand that the share of these engines  to the pollution on the planet is less than negligible. Look at USA's withdrawal from the Kyoto Protocol and refusal to ratify Smiley

If the efficiency and performance are eventually reduced I would blame the EPA for starting this theatrical persecution of VW. Everybody with knowledge of the world can understand that the motives are not bona fide.

You are mixing up CO2 output and NOx output. Two different pair of shoesSmiley Just saying...

Not necessarily. Changing the control data to reduce NOx emissions is also very likely to influence CO2 emissions.
According to some reports we have linked to here, there have been signs that the low-NOx software could result in lower fuel consumption and higher maximum power output. This would just mean that the cheat software put the priority on NOx reduction at the expense of power and consumption. 

--

fritz