nberry:
fritz:

I guess that what it boils down to is that product liability cases frequently get a serious hearing in US courts where most people would think that running the claims through a "common-sense filter" up front should get them thrown out before they ever get to be a full-blown court procedure. 
Whereas in many legal jurisdictions the claimants lawyers would for their own protection advise them against starting expensive proceedings on the basis of a very poor case, there appear to be lawyers in the USA who positively encourage clients to proceed under those circumstances.    yes

Fritz, my response was to the above quote.

Regarding the lighter fluid, clearly he was not acting reasonably and a jury would have no problem arriving at that conclusion. I will go one step further. I would wager that if he had homeowner or tenant insurance the insurer of the apartment building will sue him to collect whatever than can from him.

I just watched that video after posting the link to it and I suspect that, in fact, its a fake made to cash in on the advertising fees a viral video can earn. The kid in the foreground whose voice you can hear would otherwise have been coughing itself to death due to smoke inhalation long before the end.   Smiley

The attorney taking the Walker case will be spending a lot of money proving their case. There must be something she/her expert have found giving them a glimmer of hope that a jury will find in their favor. The damages could be enormous given Walker's profile and earnings.

That's just what somebody is counting on. 

--

fritz