MKW:

SHOCKED  when I read this story ...didn't know European car makers pay pvt firms to test their cars and supply totally stripped out versions to boot which makes mileage testing a joke  ...major conflicts of interest also and the gov'ts just take their results ...very disspointed to discover that there is no EPA like agency in Eurozone ....I suspect we are breathing a lot more real world lung and life damaging pollutants than we think ! 

I suspect there is long standing complicity  of looking the other way for all involved incl govt officials in Germany to prop the ecomonmy and unions ....ironic that Audi tag line is " Truth in Engineering " !

http://www.wsj.com/articles/europes-auto-makers-keep-test-firms-close-1443648097

This story isn't very accurate and based on some sort of misunderstanding on how the system works. I guess the Wall Street Journal should stick to economics and financials and leave stories like this one to the Washington Post. Smiley

The TÜV is a private organization per se but not really private, similar to the many government controlled health insurances. Actually, I wish the US had something like the TÜV because in the US, you can basically do lots of aftermarket mods which the German TÜV would never allow. Ever. This doesn't apply to cars only.

Also, there is something like the EPA in the Eurozone, I don't know why you would think there isn't. Smiley Smiley

Last but not least, the latest EURO 6 emissions are very similar to the California emissions regulations with some minor differences. Only difference is the testing when it comes to fuel consumption where California requires real life testing and the results are very accurate, while in Europe, it is more of a "theoretical" fuel consumption test which is a bit out of touch with real life situations.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)