fritz:
reginos:
fritz:
reginos:

That will take a very long time then!

In the end it might not be technically feasible to reduce emissions to the required levels AND to maintain the other engine characteristics to the originally specified values. In this eventuality the problems will be huge between VW and its customers.

At the moment we don't even know what influence the trick software had on EU emissions tests, do we?  Smiley

I cannot imagine how NOx can be 40 times more whilst CO2 stays the same. Logically EU emissions have been falsified too.

Smiley
From the published report on the American tests we know that, counter-intuitively, fuel consumption and therefore CO2 output was reduced when the NOx emission values increased due to the cheat software. Worse values for one do not go hand-in-hand with worse values for the other. 

My question above really was meant as a question: Do we know anything yet as to what effect the possible use of the defeat device was meant to have in European car? Was it the same as for EPA tests, or did differing test requirements lead to different objectives? I haven't read anything on this yet on news reports. 

If the NOx and the CO2 values go in opposite directions, then the effect of reducing NOx during rolling road  tests through the defeat device was that CO2 values appeared higher than in real usage of the car.

Unless in the EU the defeat device was programmed to work in the opposite direction i.e. reducing the CO2 (which matters for EU taxation and environmental standards) whilst increasing NOx that EU doesn't take into much consideration.

--

"Form follows function"