reginos:

It is reported that the affected cars, all 2.0 TDI are 5million VW and 11million VW Group in total. VW are saying that these cars will be located and remedial work will be offered.

We have two 2.0 TDI in our family. So if the remedial work is after removing the offending software VW would proceed to reducing emissions through a new engine management which will mean that the engine output and performance of the cars will be reduced. I don't think this will be acceptable to us as owners, unless we would have to accept under some kind of legislation in which case as owners would seek some kind of reparation from VW-Audi-Skoda-SEAT that use the 2.0 TDI engines.

Whatever happens VW will pay dearly in money and reputation and moreover the whole "made in Germany" image will not be the same from now on probably affecting corporations beyond the automotive industry.  I guess many millions of Germans must be living out of the VW Group and a number are bound to suffer job losses etc. as sales take a tumble. The problematic Eurozone could be also in danger.

If I were Merkel I would tackle the whole affair from the political angle and try to strike a damage limitation deal with the US government. The problems of individual corporations rarely rise to the level of geopolitics but VW is too large to fail not only for Germany but for half a dozen more countries in Europe where VW have plants and/or supply sources. Playing the geopolitical card with the Americans always works.

--

"Form follows function"

Loss of performance - and possibly economy as well - wouldn't be acceptable to me either. In which case we have been miss-sold a product which is then recoverable in law.

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive