MKSGR:
RC:
I think Porsche is missing a huge opportunity here, unless they (finally) make the next gen Turbo S the way it is supposed to be...a benchmark. Smiley

Even if the 992 turbo would be quicker, more efficient than the current model and also as most or all of its competitors (very likely) the character of the car is still unlikely to change enough to make it emotionally attractive enough for you, I feel... Don't you agree Smiley

Porsche will change a lot with the next 992 generation, especially the interior is going to get a complete overhaul and a very nice one. I know that some Porsche employees at the IAA are telling people right now that the 911 won't change much with the next generation (what do you expect, they want to sell the current 991.2 Smiley) but I can tell you for sure that it will surprise many (in a positive way, I think).

The exhaust sound is something I cannot really overlook on any car, it is an integral part of the fun and whoever says this isn't true, lies to himself. I had to learn this the hard way (money). Of course there can be cars which are so fast that they may actually compensate for a bad exhaust sound, like the 650S for example. Yes, I would get one (was very tempted with their last lease offer) but only because the performance is so overwhelming that it is worth it. This could be the case with the next 911 Turbo generation as well.

Track times are important (because they show the potential and refinement of the car's setup) but not as important to me anymore as before. I do not really care anymore if a Ferrari is 5 seconds faster on the Nordschleife than a Porsche or vice versa. Nowadays, in the hands of the same driver, there isn't much difference between the cars, believe it or not. Only a pro driver can squeeze out a couple of seconds more...on a track with is 20 km long. Smiley Yes, many modern sports cars are that good in the hand of experienced but non-pro drivers.

So while I still feel a strong connection to Porsche, I also started to get the feeling lately that I am not getting my money's worth performance and quality from Porsche. 162k EUR for a well optioned C4 GTS Cab is just insane in my opinion. I paid less for my 997 Turbo with PCCB a couple of years ago. Smiley

That said, I will choose my next sports car very wisely and also based on the price tag, quality and what I will get for the money. Don't take me wrong: I do not expect Porsche to sell their cars at a bargain price, like Nissan does with the GT R (in comparison with the Turbo S) but at least I expect some decent value for the money. A 430 hp car for 162k EUR (with options but you can spec the car up to 180k and more) just doesn't sound right in my book and the new 911 is even more expensive now.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)