Futch:
SciFrog:

Coming from you François and after you trashed the speciale a bit it is a BIG statement... Said it before, I might consider an FF equivalent from them if they ever make one...

I've liked everything about that brand ever since I met them. There's a boutique approach that Ferrari can only dream of, let alone Porsche. The 650 was truly brilliant. Most impressive was its steering feel and handling. It reminded me of my Carrera GT but better. Engine not as charismatic nor musical but it goes nonetheless . Anyway all 600hp + cars now all feel very fast at the limit. My test was only about 50km but to me it's a much better car than the floaty 458. I begged for an LT and I've just had a slot confirmed for later this year. I sat in an LT at the factory and the bucket is sublime. Narrow, enclined and extremely supportive. The interior is amazing. Very cocooning and the centre console reminds me of my CGT but with a proper infotainment system. The styling is still a bit much at the front but at least the brand now has it's own identity and the rear of the car is very nice on the LT. I was with my mate Paul Lanzante who looks after my F1 so we were well received. He bought the batch of P1 XP cars so we had a close look at that car too. I never looked at it in details and its a fine machine. 570S looks great too. It'll be interesting to see how it does but the interior is great!

Congratulations, Futch! Smiley Smiley

I enjoyed the read and yes, McLaren may not get the credit they deserve but maybe there is one little thing to think about: How can such a small company offer actually the same or better performance/quality than the "major" players in the business like Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini? Do they have some sort of secret ingredient or do they have the better engineers with the better understanding of sports cars? Or aren't they as profitable as Ferrari or Porsche for example? I understand your enthusiasm and I haven't driven the "new" 650 yet but the only McLaren I drove was the MP4-12C and I was underwhelmed (OK, amazing acceleration and fantastic ESP setup, no doubt about it).

So why would McLaren do it better than Ferrari or Porsche with less resources and experience? Smiley Or have Porsche and Ferrari lost their touch? Please forgive my bluntness but I honestly think that McLaren could be onto something Ferrari and especially Porsche could have "missed".

I also know that Porsche tests and compares "competitor" products to their own cars, so when it comes to raw straight line performance (0-200 kph performance would be an example), they can clearly see the difference. Why is Porsche lagging behind? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)