Spyderidol:
Leawood911:

Now which engine will they use for RACING?  Still the Mezger?  If a NEW racing engine shows up I want to see it's birth certificate!

Mezger will not be used in the near future. 2017 brings new GTE rules. Expect to see non-mezger turbo RSR relatively soon.

According to a couple of Weissach engineers I talked to during various occasions, the "Mezger" engine (they actually didn't know it by this name but the technical designation) is outdated and not as reliable as many may think. They all claimed that the new tech is better but of course this doesn't mean that you can use the new tech to easily put 800 horses in a 911 Turbo. A good engine isn't defined by the durability when tuned but many other factors. The "Mezger" engine is, according to these people, obsolete. I know it is hard to believe, especially considering the issues the GT3 had but I heard this from different people, not only one person and none of them had a reason to lie to me or to uphold the official Porsche "message". These were private talks, not "official business".

I am actually very curious about the new tech. Btw: The current 991 engine is quite reliable according to my mechanic. He hasn't seen many 991 engines, especially lately, in the repair shop but tons of 997 and 996 engines. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)