KresoF1:

Stefan,

Friend of mine which owns 458 Speciale was on press drive in Italy about 20 days ago. He drove 488 GTB and directly compared it to his Speciale. 

At first, impression was that new car is not so exciting at all due to his sensory feel. Even worst, when he drove 488 GTB right after Speciale he felt that there is no contest which caris better and more exciting. 

But, then his colleague from one Italian car magazine step in 488 GTB and asked him to follow in his Speciale. It was a shock experience. 488 was so much faster in straight, in corners that he almost lost control of his Speciale in trying to keep up closely.  After pretty long evaluation they both came to conclusion that objectively 488 GTB is superior car and that about 98% of Speciale "sensory overload" excitement is coming purely from exhaust sound/engine note. 

Imagine engine is screaming at 9000rpm and you feel totally awsome... Split second later 488 GTB overtakes you without a sweat and suddenly you do not feel that awsome and some strange emotions are starting to surface...

That is what my friend wrote in his very long email with 488 GTB drive impression. 

Yes, 488 GTB is apparently less exciting sportscar in sheer Ferrari "sensory overload" way then Speciale. More "german in feel" to quote my friend. 

Is it better or not? I do not know. It is after all very subjective opinion how to value that "sensory overload" feel...

It is true that 488 has unbeliviable traction at the track. It was my first time at Hungaroring and I don't know the track at all so can't compare the handling directly with my italia (by the way my car is MY13 and has track setup riding on Trofeo R). I regularly track my italia at Istanbul Park and I drive very agresively. I have posted many videos at track; I even oversteer the car around 170-180 km/h. But I couldn't oversteer the 488 at Hungaroring evenif İn race mode. Since I had an italian instructor with me, I didn't push the car as I did with my car but nevertheless, I haven't lost the traction once. Also as I said before, the filteration from the chassie is too much IMO. You feel that the extra rigidity of the body but you also feel very comfortable, actually too much comfortable for lapping the track. 

The first impressions can change; but I really prefer Speciale even if it is 2 sec slower on Fiorano.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)