bluelines:
RC:

I also think that up to 260 kph, it is quite safe, depending on the car you are driving in.

As long as you don't crash 260km/h is totally safe Smiley

If you crash at 260km/h it does not matter which car you drive. The G-forces will crush your vital organs in a split second.

Check this staged crash at 120mph (190km/h):

True but don't forget that I do these speeds for over 30 years now...

Of course sh.t can always happen but I never had a scary (or "close") situation in my life, with the exception of that idiot a couple of years ago, who, on a completely empty Autobahn, moved from the far right lane to the far left lane (on which I was traveling at 280 kph in a X5M)...changing 3 lanes instantly. His speed was aprox. 140 kph or so. This guy did it on purpose because afterwards, he exited the Autobahn immediately. He was lucky because I really wanted to drive after him and call the police (I had my wife with me as a witness). Even then, nothing happened because I paid attention and didn't panic and kept the car stable while doing some pretty hard braking and evasive steering at way over 200 kph in a SUV(!). Experience also means a lot when going fast, never underestimate that. Also, I learned to never ever get distracted when driving fast. I don't listen to the radio, to the wife or kids, my head is only on the road. When the kids make noise in the back or have (loud) fun or my wife talks to me, I drive much slower. Cannot concentrate when they are doing that. A fraction of a second...I said it before.

The only thing I am always afraid of is a technical failure. However, this is less likely than winning a million in the lottery. Unless of course you have an old car and/or you don't care about the technical status of that car.

This is like "never go outside because a brick could fall on your head" thing. Bad things can happen but you can also try to avoid them effectively. Especially when it comes to cars.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)