Herbaliser:
RC:

Audi has a different image in Germany than in other countries. For me, Audi is not a luxury brand, it is a little bit above VW and thats it. Maybe at par with BMW but below Mercedes.This is why I do not "get" the R8 at all

This is a very "old school" understanding. You probably haven't spend enough time in Audi's from the last decade. The only model that can give some special bragging rights to Mercedes is the AMG 65 range....Which with is irrelevant these days and is more of a status symbol.

Audis are your typical middle class cars over here, mostly driven by sales reps or normal employees.

When it comes to luxury cars, BMW and Mercedes play the game, Audi not so much. I barely see Audi A8 in Germany (and I really like the latest model) and the R8 is not your typical Audi.

This is not old school understanding, this is a fact. I know that the perception of German car brands is different in other countries, for example Volkswagen in the US (pretty bad image, the image in Germany is much better).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)