ANPR is a good thing - especially when they are using it to get criminals / uninsured drivers off the road.

Interesting thread, and interesting to read a lot of different opinions.

What has always startled me though, is that Germany creates a very funny situation in Europe. If you would drive 200 km/h near the German border in Netherlands, France, Switzerland or Austria, you'll be condemned as a reckless murderer not caring about your fellow motorists, a total maniac. 5km further, you can pass the German cops at 270 km/h and not even get a stare. Now this has always been explained that 'german motorists are used to those speeds' and other - in my opinion - non-arguments. Fact of the matter is that speed does not - I repeat, does not - kill. Another fact is that people's attitude will not just change 5km ahead, yet on the one side you'll lose your license and possible your car, and on the German side (and often it is immediately derestricted after the border) you'll be perfectly fine.

The culprit is not paying attention, but of course, that is much harder to verify by legal forces. I'm sad to say that since I am forced to drive a lot slower I am constantly busy with other things. On my phone, watching TV, eating, drinking, talking, phoning etc. And when I'm driving a bit faster I'm only looking for the wrong things: speed camera's, hidden cops, undercover cop cars etc. Only in Germany am I truly focused on the driving itself.

On top of that, in an age where variable speedlimits are technically a possibility (I LOVE that system in Germany where it changes according to density of the traffic), a flat maximum speedlimit is truly utter nonsense. Another thing that bothers me is the current 'race' to lower speeds. Everytime the argument is used that lower speeds will mean less deaths. Then why don't we just all drive at 20 km/h? I'm sure we'll eliminate all deaths, so surely that must be a fantastic idea? yes

The situation in the W-European countries has drastically changed in the past 5 years IMO, and any fun of driving on public roads is slowly being eliminated. It doesn't even have to involve speed! A small acceleration, a bit of sound - it's all being regarding as morally not done by a lot of people nowadays. Only in eastern Europe it is still possibly to have a go. Each time I'm in Poland, Hungary etc I love it, their whole attitude is different and they generally pay attention when driving, move over without any drama and policing is much more lenient.

I am driving as much as I can since I expect it only to become worse.

--

M3 CSL / Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring / RS2 Avant / GT3RS Kermit