3.8 Turbo?  No way, it would make far too much power and be a complete monster.  The car wouldn't fit into the range offering or engine-strategy-wise.

3.8 NA? Possibly - it would be a nice surprise, but again, given the imminent downsizing in cylinders and capacity I think it's unlikely - unless they want to produce a real last-of-the-breed.  I'd buy it indecision

My guess is a turbo 4 - hopefully a boxer rather than an inline.  A multi-plane turbo V4 would be some exotic fun but I really am dreaming there.  A turbo 4 seems likely to me as it would be the perfect vehicle to use as a sweetener for getting a 4-cyl out there.  It would pave the way for lesser models by showing a 4-cyl can be fun, reduce the weight (in line with sports and economy values) and avoid stepping on the 911 GT3's toes by being 'lesser' as both a Cayman and a 4-cyl.

I guess someone must have heard it going round the 'ring - should be pretty easy to pin down NA/turbo and number of cylinders, but no-one seems to have commented on this.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1