Gnil:
easy_rider911:

By contrast, English law is used by people all around the world ... 

Easy : Whoopsy stated that in Canada they can also confiscate your car and put it to auction . I would imagine Canada laws to be anglo - saxon inspired and similar to Uk . So how is that possible ?

Sorry if I created any confusion - I can clarify it in this way - AFAIK all Canadian provinces (except Quebec) have legal systems which are originally based on the Anglo Saxon Common Law system in the UK. But that only describes how those Canadian legal systems were originally set up.

Legally, Canada is doing its own thing now :) So, those provinces have enacted (and continue to enact) their own criminal and civil laws. The Canadian car confiscation law is just one of those many laws.

Also, about people all round the world using English law nowadays, that is just in the context of commercial legal contracts where the parties can choose which law governs their contracts. That's nothing to do with criminal law where the law of the place where the crime is committed usually applies.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red