bluelines:
easy_rider911:
bluelines:
easy_rider911:

I find it shocking and frightening that the State could punish different people for the same criminal offence differently. So a richer person pays a much bigger fine than a poorer person?

It is not only Switzerland, but also Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein and Croatia all have this system where a fine depends on the individuals income.

Sure, that was exactly my point Smiley None of those legal systems is based on English Common Law Smiley That explains the different jurisprudential approach.

Equally, none of those run around in pompous wigs and Monty Python costumes Smiley

LOL Smiley - nothing wrong in using wigs and gowns to remind lay people of the seriousness of legal proceedings Smiley

The only people who pick the law of a particular canton in Switzerland as the governing law of their contracts are the Swiss people and corporate entities who obviously prefer/need to have disputes settled before Swiss national courts.

By contrast, English law is used by people all around the world ... and you know it Smiley

Clearly, people don't mind the wigs and gowns provided they get reliable justice in their disputes being resolved Smiley

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red