Over the couple of past weeks, I had various (kind of) scary "encounters" with motorcycles.

1. Austria: During a short vacation in Austria, I drove up and down some mountain pass roads with the family in our Jeep SRT and I had to actively avoid a couple of motorcycles because the bikers would intrude my lane by 1/3 (no kidding) by leaning into it. Twice, I had to brake hard and move the car almost down the abyss because they bikers were entering or exiting curves in my lane. Absolutely crazy. I won't even start complaining about how they passed me and other cars, especially in curves where there was no visibility at all. To give you a perspective: I was driving 20-30 kph at times.

2. German daily driving: I was standing at a red light in my 991 Turbo S on the left lane out of two lanes. When the traffic light changed to yellow and then green, I accelerated. I saw a shadow in my driver side mirror and didn't fully accelerate, to my luck...and the one of the idiot biker who cut my way from behind, getting in front of me. It was a very old motorcycle, it didn't have more than 30 or 40 hp, one of those old-timers and if I would have fully accelerated in my Turbo S...well...do the math.

Then just last Saturday, red light situation on a country road. I was on the left lane, the motorcycle (some 1100 or 1300 monster) on the right. We both fully accelerated  when the light changed to green and up to 80 kph or so, we were head to head, when I suddenly applied the brake and stopped because the stop light on a big intersection ahead of us was red. Now guess what? The biker passed over red at a very high speed (at least 120 kph or so) and with the front wheel up(!), he just didn't see the red light in front of him. This guy must have had a guardian angel because the traffic had just started to enter the intersection.

3. Italy: I had to move my Jeep SRT to the faaaarrrr right in some situations, extremely close to the wall of rock on the right, to make room for these idiots. I was so close to the wall of rock on the right that my daughter started screaming. If I wouldn't have done that, the bikers would have crashed into my car or the car on the opposite lane (which unfortunately weren't clever enough to make more room for them). One Italian biker didn't have enough power to pass me and I had to brake hard, so he can enter the lane in front of me, otherwise he would have crashed into that truck on the opposite lane.

What is wrong with these guys? Lately, I had so many similar encounters that I started to doubt the sanity of some bikers. Keep in mind that I usually drive very attentive to bikers, I drive more to the right to leave room for them and I pay a lot of attention, I'm also not mad (like other drivers) when they pass me. This time however, I really think that all the crazy bikers were on the road, absolutely unbelievable.

What do you think?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)