SciFrog:

My Macan turbo interior is one of the best I have ever seen in any car...

The Macan turbo doesn't need more power in the USA because of the PDK software which works amazingly well. Even my 8 year old Q7 has a better interior than the Q5 I drove last year.

Sound from the outside is actually adequate. The problem is from inside the cabin.

Most the critics here come from the fact that they want the Macan what THEY wanted it to be and not what Porsche made... Which is the ultimate daily driver that can replace a SUV, an estate wagon and a sporty sedan all together at a great price point.

There are tons of such cars over here...no need for another one, unless you want to attract a new customer base (which is exactly what Porsche planned and achieved).

No offence RC but here in the US the SRT is similar to the Corvette crowd i.e. a car for cheap thrills for middle aged middle class men or their low 20s kids...

In Germany, the Jeep GC has a pretty good reputation. Simply because it is considered a "serious" Offroader and not a lifestyle SUV like the Cayenne or X5 for example. Of course I know that the SRT is not a "serious" Offroader but people can't really tell the difference here. Which is a good thing...for meSmiley If there is a US brand which does not have image issues in Europe, it is Jeep. Smiley

The design is quite bland especially compared to what Jeep were in the past, especially the rear, and you see variants of it everywhere on the road.

In my opinion, the current 2014 Grand Cherokee is the most beautiful US made SUV on the market. I would even say that it is one of the most beautiful SUVs on the market and within the top 5 SUV when it comes to design and looks. Actually, I got only praise for the looks but European taste (or German taste) may be slightly different.

But it has a big engine and pushes hard, which is what you like... I would much rather have the efficiency, finesse and sophistication of the Macan. It surpasses my 09 CTTS in every aspect except of course for interior space and cargo, for a fraction of the price...

If you want efficiency, finesse and sophistication in one package, get a BMW X3 35d. The X3 35d isn't much slower from 0-60 mph than the Macan Turbo and it eats only half the fuel (Diesel). I think you are overly enthusiastic because you own one. I get it but (me) being used to all kind of SUVs, incl. the Q5, X3, X5 and others, there is no real advantage for the Macan here. Well, it has 400 hp and more power than the others, this is true but if you are talking efficiency, I don't know. You've seen my fuel consumption, right? Smiley

Comparing the Macan with a 09 957 is ridiculous. The 957 is basically a 2002 Cayenne (955) with an optical and technical makeover. The Macan is a 2014 car, even if it is based on a slightly "older" Q5 base.

I expected from Porsche something different than "just" downsized Cayenne at almost the same exterior size. I also expected more exciting engines and a more emotional performance and driving feel. You know that I wanted to get a Macan Turbo but when I finally got to drive it and learn about the details, my disappointment was quite big. Even wrote a letter about it to Porsche, believe it or not.

Yes, a Jeep is no Porsche but ask my kids or even my wife or anyone around me what they would prefer, the Macan Turbo or the Jeep SRT (considering that both actually eat up the same amount of fuel when driven hard, with even a slight advantage for the SRT...a 6.4 l V8 monster) and the answer couldn't be clearer. In the US, brands mean a lot and I understand why a Ferrari owner wouldn't want to drive a Jeep. Smiley 

Luckily, the perception of the Jeep brand over here is different and I am actually happy that people don't show the same envy and negative vibe they showed towards my previous Cayenne models in the past. Of course this would probably change if they knew what kind of engine the Jeep has but since they don't, I'm good. Smiley

If you tell me that you are happy with your Macan Turbo, I am happy for you. However, please don't try to convince me using the words efficiency or finesse and sophistication together with the name Macan. The Macan is still, quality-wise, a step behind the current Cayenne (958) and when it comes to finesse and sophistication, I actually have different Porsche models in mind. May be a mentality thing, I don't know but it is obvious.

I know that opinions are always subjective and we don't have to agree, so please don't take it too much to the heart and enjoy your new baby. I didn't want to spoil the fun. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)