When I heard about the Macan for the first time, the idea of a smaller SUV from Porsche actually sounded like a good idea. The Cayenne is still heavy and the most powerful versions have become almost too expensive, with the Cayenne Turbo S topping the model range. The Macan I test-drove isn't really a bargain at over 100k EUR but the car was equipped with all the goodies, including full leather and Burmester, so don't be surprised.

I don't want to bore you with little details or an extensive photo gallery, so many things have already been said, so I'm cutting it down to the chase.

POSITIVE

- Sportiest SUV on the planet in my opinion. I drove many different SUVs over the past couple of years, incl. the latest Cayenne Turbo S and the Cayenne GTS and I have to say that the Macan Turbo is the closest you can get to a 911 in a SUV. Amazing steering and suspension setup, only thing I would add is PDCC because there is some noticeable body roll in fast curves, even if there is basically no understeer and the car feels and drives razor sharp.

- PDK shifts fast, especially on downshifts.

- Quality impression is very good, though not quite as good as on the Cayenne (not much difference though).

- Very good brake system with good feel.

- Very good throttle response (Sport mode)

- Very direct and sharp steering feel, almost 911-like with a bit more "lightness" (the steering on my 991 Turbo S and Boxster S feels "firmer") in it, probably due to a stronger power steering involvement (I guess).

- Engine has practically no turbo lag and feels powerful.

- Very stable at higher speeds (over 240 kph), car feels rocksolid.

- Interior noise at higher speeds acceptable (you can still talk to your passengers at over 240 kph).

- Very good stability/feel in curves and sharp turns, practically no understeer and the rear comes nicely if you provoke it (in Sport mode or if you turn off PSM). For a SUV, the limit is very high, very impressive.

- Weight of the car can be barely felt during driving, the car feels more like 1600-1700 kg weight, not 2 tons.

- Burmester system sounds very nice (must have) but is at the limit of what I would accept as a good HiFi system in a car.

NEGATIVE

- Lower seating position (compared to the Cayenne or other SUVs), the Macan seating position doesn't provide the feel of a SUV (which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it). 

- Worst sounding 400 hp engine I ever heard in my entire life. In the interior, even with the window cracked open, you don't hear much of the engine either. On the outside it is a bit better at idle only, just imagine the 991 Turbo S engine sound but with a felt 50% less volume. A shame for a Porsche. 

- Brake system is great but brake pedal operation/sensitivity may be a bit too aggressive for regular drivers.

- Throttle response (in Sport mode) is great but has a bit of an artificial feel too it, it should be more linear.

- Manual PDK upshifts could be faster at lower rpm figures.

- Steering wheel looks amazing (918-style) but could be a little bit thicker.

- Luggage room not really great, in real life situations, it fits two mid sized luggage pieces only.

- Passenger room in the rear is limited, kids may be happy in the rear, adults (or adolescents) very likely not.

- Very linear boost of the engine kind of gives the feeling of being underpowered, there is no turbo punch you would expect from a 400 hp car.

- Surprisingly high fuel consumption at higher speeds, I expected a lot but didn't expect Cayenne Turbo/S territory.

- Burmester HiFi system sounds nice but you wouldn't want anything less, which renders the BOSE kind of useless. I start to get the feeling that the BOSE system is only a basic system. I won't even start with the really basic sound system.

- Some noticeable body roll in sharp curves.

VERDICT

Amazing small SUV, very sportscar-like drive and steering feel but overall, maybe not what I expected. There is no emotion coming from this car, nothing at all. The engine performs without any spectacular noise or habit and after driving the Macan Turbo for half an hour, boredom sat in. Unless of course I hit some nice curves to play with, something the Macan Turbo is really made for. The chassis and steering setup are remarkable, so is the AWD setup with practically no understeer and oversteer capabilities.

The fuel consumption at higher speeds, I wasn't even able to drive at top speed, was very shocking to say at least. Even at lower speeds, the fuel consumption barely dropped below 19 liters / 100 km. Quite weird. Yes, I was driving in Sport mode all the time but not really that fast.

I was also very surprised how bad the engine sounds from the interior. In a Cayenne Turbo, at least you get a taste of a V8 sound but in the Macan Turbo, you get...nothing. How is that possible? How can Porsche actually allow this car to carry the name Porsche? I am very very disappointed. In the exhaust sound department, Porsche really has to start to overthink their strategy because the typical "turbo engine" excuse just doesn't work with me anymore. How do other manufacturers do that? Exactly my point.

Performance-wise, the 400 hp engine may look great on paper but in reality, the 400 horses have to move a 2 ton car. You cannot feel the weight of the Macan, this is something Porsche did really great but you can feel the...lack of power. The power output and delivery of the 400 hp engine is very linear, there is no turbo punch. This is why the car feels underpowered at times and yes, I am serious about it. The engine on the test car wasn't lacking power (1.2 max boost pressure) but it just worked. It is the perfection of the power delivery which may actually be the biggest problem here.

Overall, I liked the Macan Turbo. However, I would never ever get a less powerful version. On the contrary, I just hope that Porsche will offer at least 40 hp more in the rumored Turbo S because this is probably the minimum amount of power needed not to feel underpowered in this car.

The Macan reminds me a lot of the Boxster, very refined and fun to drive but not really what I expected from Porsche. Yes, the Macan is a very good SUV, no doubt about it but it lacks any emotions. How often will you drive your Macan Turbo to the track? Get my point? The track is probably the only place you will actually enjoy driving this SUV, as weird as this may sound to many of you.

If you are looking for a small SUV to complement your sports car, the Macan Turbo could be the right choice...for a lot of money. Yes, the Cayenne Turbo (or even the GTS) are much more expensive and less sporty than the Macan Turbo but to be honest, they provide more emotions (V8 engine) and of course more interior and luggage room. 

So why would someone buy a Macan Turbo? Well, good question. I would get one because the Cayenne Turbo is much more expensive. For me, this is the only reason I would get a Macan Turbo over the Cayenne Turbo.

I am sorry if some of you expected a more positive review of the Macan Turbo but this is how I see this car. I didn't like the first Cayenne too much either, so my opinion can change over time. If Porsche decides to add some emotions to the Macan. Right now, the only good thing about it is the steering and chassis setup and maybe, maybe the price tag. if this is enough for you, go for it, you will be happy.

mactacho.jpg

macboost.jpg

macfuel.jpg

machinten.jpg

mackoffer.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)