Given that Porsche helped with the inital investigation I would dare say it makes a lot of sense to have someone else looking at the facts as well.  There must be some evidence they have to conclude the speed was only 55.  That might have been the impact speed after scrubbing of speed while skidding or trying to brake and they are claiming the car should have absorbed such an impact without leaking fuel and exploding (ala Pinto).  Not enough have been built to know if they suffer from suspension failures after what most would consider reasonable miles.  Most are not driven enough to have reached this stage.  Anyway my point is we would be much worse off if we have a system where these types of legal challenges were NOT allowed.  Can you imagine what dangerous products would be passed off?  In the big picture such lawsuits amount to a minor expense for insurance companies and producers vs. what they earn and what would happen if they simply could not be sued.

I have enough faith in science and the ability to uncover the facts that enough information will be available to arrive at a fair judgement.  In such a system it is more likely than not that everyone will get exactly what they deserve and not a penny more.  Did anyone really think this would not end in a lawsuit - regardless of the country!  Can you name one country that had lawyers that would have  passed on this suit?  Last I heard lawyers were pretty much the same everywhere.