To be honest, I'm not sure my next sports car is going to be a Porsche again. I am however quite confident that my next family SUV will be a Porsche, very likely the next generation (not facelift) Cayenne Turbo S.

Let me explain: I use the sports car only on weekends, so I need to choose something with a huge fun factor at the lowest price possible. In the past, the 911 prices were quite acceptable for the performance they delivered but nowadays, the competition is getting stronger and stronger. I get a Jaguar F-Type R Coupe for 100k EUR. A 991 Carrera S costs me around 30k more with similar options. Just saying... I know, I know, the 911 is a different type of performance car but if a competitor delivers the same performance and fun factor for less money, why not? Especially since I use this car only on weekends.

The family car (or daily driver) is a different story: It needs to be a SUV. The Jeep GC SRT we have now is great and a great value for the money but performance-wise, it doesn't come even close to the Cayenne Turbo S (no wonder, the Jeep costs 65k EUR after rebate, the Cayenne Turbo S 100k more).

So I think that when the 991 Turbo S lease runs out, I may look for a cheaper sports car alternative but go for the sportiest and fastest SUV instead, which would probably be the Cayenne Turbo S.

If I had the money to choose freely, I would get a Lamborghini Aventador or Ferrari F12 as a sports car and the Cayenne Turbo S as a family SUV.

Porsche has reached a price level with the latest 911 Turbo S which already hurts a lot for a weekend fun car. For this kind of money, the car just needs to offer more excitement. I love my 991 Turbo S but I can understand why some people choose something else instead. Porsche should always have the performance edge with the 991 Turbo S but they don't. Yes, the 0-100 kph acceleration time is spectacular, so is the handling but the competition has closed in and with cars like the new 650 S and the Speciale, there isn't much difference in performance or price tag. On the contrary, for a couple of thousands more, the McLaren and the Ferrari actually offer more. More performance and probably more excitement too.

I am sorry but I think that Porsche needs to up their game in many different domains. Just keeping up with the competition doesn't cut it anymore I'm afraid.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)