No that is a plastic covering on top of the black panels. If you look closely at the front you can see the edge of the white strip stops short of the edge where you can see that it is black.

The process of leaving and returning to Porsche has been a bit of a story. Previously I had a 996 C4S and then a 997 C4S (cobalt blue with 997 turbo wheels). I loved the 997 like a child and had it for five years. I sold the last car at the time of the release of the 991, when there was a lot of bad press about its steering. I had a (brief) test drive of the 991 at the time and got a bit caught up in the hype about the steering feel. 

I decided to go with an Aston Martin Vantage V8 S. It is a beautiful looking car with an amazing sound, lots of V8 urge and bespoke interior. I wanted a change and the car did have great steering feel. However, as time has gone by the single plate clutch automated manual transmission has been driving me insane. It is really clunky and slurs on the change ups quite badly unless the change is done above 5000 rpm. The sound which was initially so addictive becomes a bit embarrassing around town if pushing on the the power. Everybody loves the Aston, especially my young adult son's friends and my wife's girlfriends - even those who don't "like cars". And the car has had several little niggles whereas my previous experience with Porsche was glitch free. In the end, everybody loves my Aston. Everyone except me.

My dealer has played a few dirty tricks along the way. Like giving me a 991 Carrera S for a weekend about a year ago. I got to drive on some favourite roads out of town. The thing that stayed with me was how much the game has moved on now. Everything about the 991 seemed to be a step up in modernity, and the transmission is like night and day compared to the Aston. The power keeps coming as the gear changes are so fast. The steering seemed great on good roads, and the suspension compliant when it needed to be compared to the fixed sports suspension of the Aston.

I kept trying to love the Aston but like a fading relationship, the writing was on the wall. I came to realise that I don't enjoy being "seen" by everyone when I am driving. What is most important is the driving experience, the seat of the pants feel, the connection to the road, the feeling of instant response and the car being nimble, not how pretty it is. I have Porsche adherent to my DNA and nothing else will do.

So I was ripe for the picking when I dropped in to the dealer. The offer was good on the Aston (relatively speaking as their 2nd hand values have been tanking) and the white Carrera pushes all my buttons.

I am back with Porsche Deutschland GMBH !!!!