Quote:
fritz said:
Quote:
JimFlat6 said:
Tire technology, suspension design and engine management systems have all made quantum leaps in the past 5 years.
So Porsches lock on high performance is a thing of the past.

Even a small company like Koenigsegg knows how to do it. All it takes is will, talent and desire. None of wich are a Porsche exclusive anymore

When in the past did Porsche ever have a "lock on high performance"?

When was high performance ever "exclusive" to Porsche?

The end of that era has been lamented so many times here on rennteam.com in the recent past, yet I have no memory of "history" really having been like that.

My memories are of Porsche as an underdog whose small-engined, technologically-compromised (rear-engined, air-cooled, VW-Beetle derived) products were described as being a triumph of development over design, because they always seemed to be able punch well above their weight.

So, apart from the reduction in the number of technological compromises which current models suffer from (911s are still rear-engined, but otherwise do not carry over any technology from the VW Beetle) nothing else seems to have changed much.

Except maybe some other people's perception of history.

My comment about Porsches lock on high performance was directed at lap times for a street car on a road circuit -
that was the context of this thread.

And yes, Porsche used to have a lock on that segment. There was no stock Corvette that could perform credibly at the ring before the C5 Z06. No Ferrari Daytona, Testarossa or 355 could either. They simply were not engineered well enough. Porsche had a huge lead in that for decades all the way back to the 71 911S versus Jag XKE vs Corvette 350. So yes, they had owned that segment of performance.

Now they don't. There are many sports cars and sports sedans today competent at high performance, not just with lots of power for a straight line.

So Porsches previous advantage of rear engine/RWD traction with lightweight and strong accellerative power has been put to rest by the wheel sizes, brake and tire technology and engine outputs of today.

Time marches on!

I ask, where is my short stroke high revving flat 8 CGT-2?

Spare me the Panameras or Mini Cayennes please!