Guys, say hello to my new ride...Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (German version, 2014).

Pickup will be next Saturday.

srt1.jpg

srt2.jpg

Let's be blunt: I always liked US SUVs but never really considered getting one in Germany, simply because they lacked in build quality and especially in sportiness.
When I started to look into the SRT8, based on Lars' recommendation, I stumbled over a used 2012 car at a dealer. That car was nice and build quality was much better than on the luxury Cadillac Escalade (what a crappy build quality this car has) and quite close to the build quality of my wife's X3 35d or even my former X5M.

When I saw the 2014 car today, I had a shock. I didn't have high expectations but the surprise was huge: This car is at the build quality level of a Mercedes ML or GL. What a surprise. Much better than the 2012 car and better than my wife's X3.

The dealer had his own SRT8 for a testdrive, so I took it for a spin. Not as direct and sporty as a Cayenne GTS but at least at the same level of a Cayenne Turbo for example. A pretty firm ride, the car feels stiff and sporty but could use a bit more steering feel when driving straight. Otherwise, a wonderful ride.

I tried the launch control twice and reached a time of 4.6 and 4.7 seconds (from 0-100 kph). This is Cayenne Turbo territory. The 2012 model does 0-100 kph in 5.4 seconds. The new 8 speed automatic really seems to have an impact.

The whole car is very nice, the front is very aggressive looking with those blacked out front lights and despite the many photos I saw on the internet, even the rear lights are smoke grey, very nice.

The entertainment system is, in my opinion, the best available in a SUV. Amazing features and the sound of the 19 speaker system is divine (very Burmester-like and worlds ahead of the BOSE I had in the Cayenne GTS).

I won't even start to mention the many standard features, the black met. paint was the only option, everything else, including seat ventilation or adaptive cruise control, is standard. Also many USB ports available all over the car, the kids love it (iPads, iPhone charging).

The sound of the V8 is very nice and close to the Cayenne GTS but I decided to go for a special sport exhaust system with flap control. Not cheap but this system gets TÜV (something I don't understand because this thing is super loud but...who cares) and I have a button for the flap control next to the shifter.

Overall, this car costs me, over a 36 months lease period, a ridiculously low amount of money (Lars, you were right...amazing offer) because Jeep Germany has right now a special discount offer for businesses and another special lease offer. For this kind of money, you cannot even get a naked Cayenne Diesel.

If the quality is as good as the whole look and feel, this will be a wonderful addition to my car family.

Driving report with more photos next weekend.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)