reginos:

IMO, Porsche need to inject some modernity in the future 911 styling. They shouldn't spoil the shape of course nor go over the top with too much ornamental detailing. But the 911 needs that something to bring it up to date; like they have done with the 981/981C models. The above sketches could be a good conceptual starting point.

--

"Form follows function"

I actually think that the 991 is perfect. Many 911 customers I know seem to think the same. The only thing bothering us all together is...the price tag. I haven't seen any 991 Carrera S Coupe below 138k EUR lately and most Cabs I see at the dealer are over 150k EUR. So where would the 992 be? Over 140k EUR for the Coupe and over 160k EUR for the Cab. Way too much. Of course this is the price tag with a few options but if you take a fully loaded car, the price tag can go up even further. Nobody buys a "naked" car with standard options only. Porsche knows this.

Porsche needs a feature/quality offensive: If they want to keep the 911 alive, the next generation needs to have a couple of new (and better) things. New interior incl. new instrument cluster (the technology Audi uses for the new TT is a hint), new engines which are not only more fuel efficient but also provide more torque and more power of course. Also the cars need to have more options as standard, for example the top models should have LED lights. A car for 150k EUR without standard LED lights? Seriously? You get the point.

I do not think that a too flashy and modern exterior would help Porsche, 911 customers actually appreciate the "less in your face" design and exterior and anything too stylish could actually kill the 911. For those who want more, the 960 will be an alternative.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)