john999s:

As far as I can see any potential GT2 or GT2RS is the new GT3 turned up to 11 on steroids. So it would be a further tuned Turbo S motor in essentially a GT3. Now the GT3 is already heavier than its predecessor so a  new GT2 with PDK, 4 wheel steering but minus 4WD is going to be not awfully far off a turbo in weight isn't it? Unless they replace   lots and lots of parts with even lighter versions-the scope of weight savings for which is limited by an already lighter 991 shell. So much as I love the idea of a GT2 /GT2RS it seems to be a major technical challenge to actually get it to be the fastest 911 in the real world and on the NBR. That's apart from the safety concerns of having huge turbo power going through 2 back tyres. Having said all that I'd love to see a GT2RS with Carbon replacing all the aluminium body parts and roof, magnesium replacing lots of aluminium, plastic windows, ridiculously tuned stupidly powerful Metzger engine, uncompromised chassis and the mother of all wings on the back. And a major health warning for reputation. The baddest with a worse attitude. Build 500 and I bet everyone would sell directly if it's special enough. Price probably wouldn't matter so much I guess :)

I actually see the biggest challenge in the engine, this is why I can imagine a GT2 but not a GT2 RS. What engine would Porsche use in the GT2RS? This means they would need to either turbo charge the current GT3 engine or use the current Turbo S engine at it's power peak of around 600 hp but this wouldn't leave much for a facelift (GT2RS). Not that it would really be necessary.

So maybe a GT2 makes more sense than a GT2RS, even if I heard differently but I can imagine a GT2 with 560 hp (same as Turbo S) with RWD and 100 kg less weight but not so much a GT2RS with 600 hp and 100 kg less weight. Unless of course Porsche doesn't care about a future facelift of the GT2RS or they offer the next gen 911 Turbo engine in the GT2RS facelift already. Not easy for them. What seems to be sure: No Mezger engine in a possible 991 GT2RS.

If I would be Porsche, I would take a different approach to this: I would offer a 991 Turbo RS instead, still with AWD but with let's say 50 kg less weight, a special race chassis based on the GT3RS one and 590 or 600 hp (they could use the roof from the GT3RS and other weight saving measures, like getting rid of the active aerodynamics and replacing it with fixed spoilers/wings). This car would appeal to a broader audience, even if Porsche may loose some former RS customers in the process. At the same time, I would introduce the "960" to satisfy those customers who don't want a 911 or who want something more exotic.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)