Whoopsy:

In the most extreme example, a car collide with a train, the train probably won't even know what it hit.

In a more common example, a normal sedan, not even a tiny micro compact, has a collision with a tractor trailer, or a dump truck.

In a collision the car with the less total energy will absorb the extra from the other car, the designed in crumple structures absorb a lot of the energy first before the actually transfer of extra energy but since cars will be likely travelling around the same speed, the mass dictates how much energy there is. 

Since smaller lighter cars are more gas efficient, there are more of them on the road, which is why there is a passive aggressive hidden campaign to get rid of heavier cars on the road as they post a grave danger to the lighter cars in a collision because of higher energy content. 

Statistically, collisions are more common than rollovers. 

If I have my way, I would buy my son a 20 ton dump truck. I know I am selfish, but in collisions I prefer to be the one dishing out energy instead of receiving it. 

Smiley Smiley You are not selfish, you are a good father. (Our) kids come first. Smiley

Btw: Have you guys actually ever seen a 991 crash test result? Of course Porsche crash tests their cars but I have never seen an official or independent crash test result. Isn't that weird? I know that the 911 is a pretty safe car, engine in the rear and all but let's take the backseats for example: What happens if a car rear ends you? Or what happens if the roof is damaged (rollover)? My kids' head isn't really far away from the roof when they sit in the rear. I cannot imagine that it is totally safe. Smiley Same goes to side impact: What happens if a car hits the side of the 911? Are the rear passengers safe? Their seats are better seat cushions than real seats. Something I actually never understood, especially with the longer 991.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)