Mithras:

Injuries are part of sport. You do it long enough and you will injure yourself, sometimes mildly, sometimes fatally. I"m sorry to hear about Schumacher but he did the right thing, took as many risks off the table as he could (wearing a helmet and seeking medical help) and rolled the dice to do something he enjoyed.  I hope he recovers, and my thought go out to his family.

One of my best friends died in an avalanche (thankfully by blunt force head trauma as opposed to suffocation) and he up until that point had done everything right as well. And yet it didn't matter at all. It's a dangerous sport. Most good ones are. The only one I've stepped away from because of injury was downhill mountain bike racing (2x breaks in each of tib & fib, ruptured achilles, tib anterior tendon pulled off bone, necrotizing fasciitis, bone marrow transplant, skin grafts and daily pain almost 20 years later took away my appetite for going really fast down rocks on a bike...). The others despite broken bones, dislocated shoulders, bruises, tendon and nerve damage and more stiches than I could count still provide more fun than pain.

I agree. It is funny however that my wife asks me to stop doing Krav Maga but at the same time, she wants me to ski or snowboard again, despite the injuries I had. I don't care much about pain but I had a serious heel injury and the doctor said after the MRI that I will be in a wheel chair in two to three years but this was over 10 years ago and I'm still doing my stuff. Smiley Bottom line is: I have a good feeling about Krav Maga but not about skiing anymore. I don't know but after that ligament rupture, it got me thinking and the snowboarding accident actually put a lid to it. I am close to 50, I have two kids and a family to take care of. Not worth it risking too much. I try to keep the risks at bay, my driving is also different from what it was 10 or 20 years ago, no doubt about it but I guess Michael Schumacher just wanted to have a nice and fun day with his son and would have never expected such an accident. Tragic. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)