Porker:
Gauss:

McLaren P1 vs. the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

Impressive! Actually this really looked like a sub-7min lap, rather than the more clinical 918 footage. Anyone who's tried to lap the Nordschleife in sub-8mins will confess that's it's a properly hairy experience, so I would think a sub-7min lap would appear extreme even on video. In the P1-footage it does, in the 918-vid, it doesn't.

The 918 video taken mostly from inside the cockpit thus the P1 video actually shows mostly the surface of the Nordschleife. Smiley Maybe the camera was mounted to a F1 car. Smiley However, the P1 lap isn't official, nobody actually knows if the car was stock and if the record stands. The "under 7 minutes" claim is quite weird, why can't they say 6:59 or 6:55 or whatever? This reminds me a little bit of Nissan and their weird GT-R claims at times, none of which has EVER been proven officially.

I get the feeling that McLaren made this video only because they got under serious pressure from the 918 video. What a  shame, a company like McLaren shouldn't need to do that, especially since they have nothing official (record or at least a an official time) on their hands. Great marketing towards the internet crowd but I doubt that potential customers are that stupid. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)