Might not be thinking straight entirely, but basically it boils down to urban drivability.  Smiley   

I drive city streets to work each day. I get to drive highways now and then, but am stuck for  a lot of my time at speeds of less than 55 mph.  So my window to exploit highly strung sports cars isn't very good, at least not on a day to day basis.  I had thought the SLS would have been a bit more usable than it proved to be.  I had 3 different 911s before over a span of 14 years (964, 996, 997), so not like I don't know the product very well.  For my commuting  I want something fast and comforable and with a bit of suspension travel and a top that can be opened up.  My 2006 C4S was terrific and that is what I gave up for the SLS; it didn't turn out to be a smart move.  The SLS kind of surprised me in terms of when my number actually came up - I had thought I might not ever get one and did not plan very well.

As for the SL63, they had me at 664 ft-lbs of torque on the p30 package - I am not sure we are going to see motors like this deployed in real cars too much longer.  It rips, far more juice than a 2011 black series.  You could say the same about the SLS, but here where I live (high altitude) the power loss in a turbo is a lot lower than normally aspirated.  We will see but for zipping around town and an occasional long drive somewhere, I think it is going to work nicely. 

I find the sticker on the 991 turbo S, which will be over $200k out the door, laughable.  It is more than I paid for the much rarer SLS. There are some postings elsewhere on this site that discuss the (rapid) price depreciation of the 991 models.  They are overpriced for what they are ($150k for a C4S at my local dealer?), and this is what happends when OEMs overprice their cars.  What happens when the facelift comes in 2016?  Or the Carrera S becomes a 3.0l turbo with next generation induction and other niceties?  My other porsches did not take 40% depreciation in 18 months, which I fear may occur on a new turbo S.  That isn't the main reason - I just always liked the SL, and wanted a try in one.  Got a good deal too.    

There are a boatload of barely used 2012 turbo S models available for sale, seeing prices in the $120k range.  It is mostly the same motor as a $200k 2014, yes?  That could be the ticket for a spare spot in my garage, we will see.