Gnil:
macca993:

Thanks Vevesse. Although the alp route is the most direct I think it may also be the most uncertain due to snow. The route I currently have planned looks more like the one attached. Im open to suggestions. Maybe this route is also possible to be in snow in Dec?

macca993 : The best weather forecast application is Weather Pro . I have been using it in different parts of CH, F, D, SA, and it is pretty precise  ( comparing often with the national weather forecasts ) 

BUT : There is no way you can know two weeks in advance what the weather will be like . These long term forecast are just a wage tendency . Max 5 days in advance is accurate , everything after that is guessing when planning the weather in the alps and around .

I would make my final decision 2 days before the actual trip .

I would NOT go through the route you have posted , unless it is very sure that there is no snow . Check the weather the days before. If there had been snow falls , don't go this way with semi-slicks .  If it has been dry for at least 2or 4 days with temperatures above 0 degrees , then you may try it . It is scenery and pretty, but not a route we would take in winter ….. even in summer we would prefer the head quickly down to the coast.

To be safe, stick to the highways  and take this route if you want to go through France , or if there is a slight chance of snow fall : ( this will take you 8h20 , 895 km )  You can stop for the night in Geneva if you want a break, or you could go to Lyon if you want to visit a bit as the old town is pretty ( stick to the center and get a hotel with secured parking )13855363992141.tiff

The ' fastest ' route from Zurich would actually be the following one  ( 590 km , 6h10 ) . But then you will be driving twice the same route on the Italian - French coast .  But, if the forecast in Switzerland shows snow above 800 m , you will be in trouble crossing the St-Gotthard tunnel , as there will probably be snow on the road a few km before the entry of the tunnel, going uphill .

13855368379872.tiff

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your great drive !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Very good and accurate information. BRAVO. Smiley

Btw: I am using Weather Pro too (Meteogroup Europe), amazing accuracy (compared to other apps).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)