watt:

RC,

so a Turbo S will likely run as fast as the Speciale for half the price?

The Speciale is rumored to cost around 235k EUR (base price incl. 19% German VAT). I guess a well equipped car will be around 260k EUR, as I predicted before. The Turbo S is unfortunately not half the price. Smiley A well equipped Turbo S is around 205k EUR. The Speciale however is rumored to do 0-200 kph in 9.1 seconds, so the performance of the Speciale should be better than the one of the 991 Turbo S, especially in the over 150 kph range.

As I said many times before, I think that Porsche made a strategical mistake by not giving the 991 Turbo S 600 hp from the start. I get the facelift thing, there needs to be some power upgrade left for it but they could have done different things to make the facelift more attractive. The moment the R8, the Gallardo successor and the Speciale come out, the Turbo S will loose potential customers. It will still remain a great daily driver and a "stealth" sports car for those who need one but the lower power figure (vs. the competition) will cost Porsche customers, no matter how good the Turbo S is overall. I like Ferrari's approach of lowering the 458 weight by 90 kg. I know that, considering the new AWS system and wider body, the weight of the new 991 Turbo S is actually 25 kg lower than the previous model but they should have dropped the weight by real 50 kg. 50 kg less weight and let's say 580 hp would have been nice. The facelift will take care of the power but in the weight department, I doubt that Porsche is going to change much. I love my 991 Turbo S but I also have to admit that I am a little bit disappointed. I know the motives for not offering 600 hp and not lowering weight further but as a customer, this doesn't really please me.

The Speciale, if the performance claims are true, is a very good offer from Ferrari, like the F12. I'm also afraid that with the FF introduction, sooner or later, Ferrari will build a more attractive 911 Turbo competitor at some point. Yes, the typical 911 Turbo customer may not get a Ferrari but you never know.

Ferrari knows how to tickle the emotions of the driver. Porsche sometimes seems to be more worried about the technical part than the emotional one. Maybe they need an Italian in their development team. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)