lor:

Just a thought - if turbo engines are the way of the future, allegedly, why does the 918 have a NA engine?

My guess is that the hybrid technology is much more difficult to implement with a turbo charged engine. Just a guess though. Also the torque may have been too high for PDK.

Also, most downsizing projects (using turbo charged 6-cyl. engines instead of N/A 8-cyl. engines for example) are carried out to achieve better emissions values, something a hybrid like the 918 wouldn't probably need in the first place.

Turbo charged downsized engines are the future because of future strict emissions regulations worldwide, not because they are so great and better than N/A engines with the same power figure. It may come a time when engineers actually find a way to achieve the same advancements with N/A engines of some sort, maybe through some sort of a hybrid. Right now, downsizing seems to be the cheapest and most effective method to achieve lower CO2 outputs and better emissions.

Many car manufacturers need a lower average CO2 output to meet stricter regulations and laws. This is why Porsche will try to offer downsized engines whereever possible and accepted by customers. The new Macan is actually a godsend gift for Porsche because the smaller SUV with various Diesel or turbo charged 4-cyl. engines will lower the average CO2 output substantially, especially if this smaller SUV sells in huge numbers. This is all part of the future strategy.

Smaller car manufacturers like Ferrari or McLaren have it much easier since, I think, the emissions laws are less strict for them if they build under (I think) 7000 cars per year. It is actually quite astonishing that Porsche was capable of building a car like the 918 or the 991 Turbo S with the emissions laws/regulations they are facing.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)