TurboRalf:

... One of the reasons why I ordered a Tesla Model S apart from it being a sensational car to drive was that I believe in Elon Musks long term view on the project. I wouldn't bet that Porsche has this view and even if they did how do you know that the manager currently in charge will be around later on. 

Ralf,

I agree completely with your skepticism regarding continuity of vision in a company as large and as bureaucratized as Porsche.  The "next guy" could spin around in a flash and take the company far away from its present intentions and feel no grief from ignoring previously made promises.  The real problem with small-volume "halo" cars is that they really don't affect overall sales and profits outside of their value as objects of PR and advertising "buzz".  They make economic sense as brand promotion, but companies may be more careful not to crash the reputation of high volume cars that are experienced by vast numbers of customers and would carry far more damaging word-of-mouth.  Their dealers would have many more interactions and push back harder against any problems that frequently occur.

Almost all the corporate value from the "halo" cars comes from the magazine and web stories that surround their fantastic capabilities.  If the test writers wax rhapsodic about their experiences driving the press fleet, it's mission accomplished.  Big time third party endorsement is the life-blood of PR.  If the small number of actual owners end up pissed off for various reasons, how many prospective customers of the bread-and-butter cars ever find out?

As you say, one needs to trust the long-term vision of management to get a feeling of long-term support.  I don't currently have that feeling about a million dollar Porsche.  I feel much better about cars that sell in higher volumes for less money.  1)  The total monetary exposure is less, so the disappointment (if it comes) is also less.  2)  Porsche is likely more sensitive to the collective weight of a larger number of customers if they become disappointed, so try harder to not let them down.

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0