Fiat and even to some point, Lancia and Alfa Romeo, basically ruled the European markets in my younger days (around 1980-1990) with their affordable, nicely designed and interesting models. They ruined that by delivering sub-par quality in return. I had a Fiat 127 Sport, you could basically "shovel" the rust out of it (hidden behind the doors and everywhere, absolutely shocking). I had various Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Lancia Thema Turbo, sometimes part of my racing work but the quality was very bad. The cars were using high quality parts from well known manufacturers (for example the Magneti Marelli ignition system was state of the art at it's time) but all the time, something broke or just seized functioning. The rally cars were of course different but the road cars...well... angry

I never understood why Fiat and Lancia and Alfa Romoe went down the drain, while Ferrari actually became better and better regarding quality. Maybe Ferrari recruited all the best workers and engineers from Fiat/Lancia/Alfa Romeo?

What a pity...in my time, it was so hip to drive a Fiat Uno or a Fiat Ritmo and now look where Fiat is...Fiat Doblo. mail

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)