Pentium:

RC, technology is also created by people... So it is a synergy.

Anyway, I was NOT taking sides. Everybody is free to choose what they like. My point was that Porsche shouldn't be blamed for creating products suited to their CURRENT majority of clients.

You actually are without realizing it but this doesn't matter. Smiley This is a discussion and it is highly interesting to learn about other thoughts and experiences.

Of course Porsche has to adapt to their potential customers but I think they do it much more with their other products like Panamera or Cayenne than they do with the 911. Look at me, I wanted more comfortable backseats and more leg/head room in the back of the 911 but Porsche didn't listen. Smiley Porsche tries to walk a thin line here while developing the 911 further but at some point, they need to make compromises if the 911 should survive.

What worries me most right now regarding the 911 is the price tag. I think that the 911 has become too expensive. The 991 Turbo S at over 200k EUR is one thing but I recently configured a 991 Carrera 4S Cab with Powerkit, PCCB and other goodies and ended up at 180k EUR. This is insane for such a car. Smiley

The 991 Turbo S approach (full options) is an interesting offer but I still think that this car is a little bit of a fraud if the only difference in power is software only. Right now, everything I know seems to confirm this. Would it have hurt Porsche to use a different airfilter box or different turbo chargers, just to make a point? There are these little things Porsche doesn't seem to care about anymore which worry me.

Let's get back to the 991 Turbo/Turbo S and what I would have done different:

1. Speedo cluster: Visual top speed is still 350 kph, why not 360 for example? Just to make a difference vs. the GT3.

2. PDK shifter: Even the Turbo S carries a Turbo engraving only. Kind of weird, especially since there is a Turbo S badge everywhere else (Speedo cluster, PCM, front spoiler lip).

3. Power: Would it have killed Porsche to use different (larger?) turbo chargers on the Turbo S and offer 580 hp instead? 60 hp more than on the regular Turbo, this would have been perfect. Considering parts(material) cost, this would have probably added a maximum of 100 EUR production cost to the whole thing. IF.

4. LED lights: Why no "black" LED lights option? (similar to the Bi-Xenon black lights).

5. Weight: Shaving off 50 kg shouldn't have been a major issue for Porsche. At least they should have kept the same weight as on the "old" Turbo S. Yes, the difference is minimal (20kg or so?) but with "only" 30 hp more, the weight increase is actually counter-productive. 

I could continue with even less obvious little details but I think that Porsche should re-evaluate their pricing or at least offer customers more for their money. 

I can't wait to get my Turbo S, why should I lie but I also know that this car is very expensive and not really the performance monster I have wished for. Maybe driving the car for more than an hour will convince me of it's qualities but right now, I am worried that I will be disappointed. I hope I'm wrong.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)