The unfortunate thing was that Porsche was not taken over by VAG in the early 90s, when it was a pure sportscar company. If that was the case, Porsche would be on a different path now. However, when Porsche had to be taken over a decade later, the Cayenne was already a commercial success and the Panamera was ready for release. W. Wiedeking changed the character of Porsche ( in a straggle for independence) forever and there was no way back. On the contrary VW management were tempted to capitalize on the success of the non-sport models and they decided to introduce the Macan. I hope they look deeper inside the brand history and they don't go any further.

Had VW bought Porsche in 1993, I am almost sure that there would be no Cayenne/Panamera/Macan and no R8 by Audi (which admittedly is a nuisance for Porsche) . But we cannot turn the clock back and start afresh. The SUVs and the limousines are part of the Porsche character now.

Personally, I would also prefer a more focused Porsche company. But, I don't feel that my 911 is any less of a wonderful sportscar than the G-series, the 964 and 993 were at their time. The same applies to the Boxster too. Porsche have not ignored the development of the sportscars in spite of the easy money that the Cayenne has brought. On the contrary Porsche sportscars are more up to date and better made than the products of most dedicated sportscar manufacturers.

What I am missing most is the motorsport domination of years gone by, especially during the 956/962 era and the TAG-Porsche F1 period.

--

"Form follows function"