Love this debate about manual vs. Automatic.  It is clearly a matter of choice.  Some of us prefer manuals.

I heard an old joke - If a conservative does not like meat he becomes a vegetarian.

If a liberal does not like meat he insists we should all be vegetarians.

Guess Nick is in the - we must all drive Automatics - camp

"it also changes completely how you interact with the throttle and brake, the mechanical engaging the gears with the stick, the play with the clucth, etc. That experience cannot be substituted by paddles."  Spot ON!!

When Nick said it was only missing a clutch he totally lost me. Without that clutch it is an automatic.  At best it is an on-off switch for a clutch.  No thanks.  Bet this debate has been going on since the first automatic was created.  The autobox is faster and more efficient yet still not ever the same.  Like comparing a bicyle to a motorcycle.  Some like to shift and know what gear they are in.  I do it without thinking and I am very quick and good at it.  I would have a hard time finding the perfect corner entry without trailbraking and setting up the car with perfect clutch release - the paddles are like an on-off switch for the clutch - would you want that for your brakes as well?