I have to admit that I feel at least half of you are talking a load of bollocks.

1) Lightweight and high powered are not mutually exclusive.

2)lightweight and high powered will ALWAYS trump heavy and high powered or light and low powered.

3) the fastest thing you can drive on a track is a light and powerful car. Racers don’t try to ADD weight!

4) a GT3 is NEVER going to be faster around a track than a huge number of road legal lightweight track cars. It is not faster than an Atom, many caterhams, any radical etc… I love them, I would buy one to track and drive but I know I’m going to get passed by an Atom on the track assuming equal skill (of which I have enough of for me to be able to pay someone to race their car).

5) Trackday cars are fun and fast on the track. They CAN also be fun blasting around backroads. They aren’t fun driving around back roads in the wet, driving in traffic, when you’re stressed and trying to think, when you have people other than yourself to take.

6)A GT3 is a track day car which has been softened up enough to allow those above things be a little or a lot less miserable.

7)I wouldn’t want to get into a big crash in any of them. A 911 is a car I would rather be in over most others so it’s not really fair. That said I’m not tracking a car with the thoughts of crashing forefront in my mind!

--
Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region