Joerg Bergmeister Looking Ahead To Porsche 911 RSR Debut...

(28 March 2013)

After spending a decade in the American Le Mans Series, Joerg Bergmeister takes on the challenge for 2013, as the Porsche factory driver will compete in the FIA World Endurance Championship, as part of the German manufacturer’s works program with its new 911 RSR.

The latest-generation GTE-spec car was unveiled Thursday at Paul Ricard, site of this week’s official pre-season WEC testing, which will see a single 991-based contender being put through its paces by its six-driver squad ahead of next month’s season-opener in Silverstone.

SPEED caught up with Bergmeister to get his thoughts on the new car and a preview of the season ahead in the competitive GTE-Pro ranks of the WEC.

Q: Is the Porsche 911 RSR a big change to you as a driver?

BERGMEISTER: It’s still a 911. You have to adapt your driving style quite a bit, but in general, I felt comfortable in the car. It’s fun so far. I really like the looks of the car and I’m optimistic for the year.

Q: How much testing have you done so far?

BERGMEISTER: I started in October of last year. I’ve been to Aragon, Abu Dhabi, Portimao, Sebring and Weissach, of course. It’s been pretty busy and I’ve done quite some testing.

Q: Can you pinpoint a major difference between the 997 and 991 model GTE cars?

BERGMEISTER: It feels more like a proper race car. The 997 always had a lot of body movement in the car. Now with the new suspension and new aero, it feels more like a solid race car. Therefore, you can roll more speed into the corners.

Q: Are you hopeful the 911 RSR will be more competitive in GTE?

BERGMEISTER: We’re definitely going to have a learning curve with development of the new car. But it’s always the question of Balance od Performance of where you end up in the end. The car has a lot of potential and it’s already a step ahead of the 997.

Q: Are you approaching this season as a development year?

BERGMEISTER: If it was up to me, I’d like the wins for sure! We’ll have to see, though. With BoP, you can never say, ‘OK, we’re going to win this race.’ It’s just up to the rule makers in the end if you are competitive or not.

Q: Are you gong to miss racing in the ALMS this year?

BERGMEISTER: I’m definitely going to miss the ALMS. I’ve been over there since 2002. So it’s going to be good going to Austin to race there together with ALMS. But in general, I’m really looking forward to this program here.

As a factory deal, it’s all I can ask for, being involved in this. Hopefully we’ll have a strong year and see what happens for 2014.

Q: What do you think of the competition in GTE-Pro?

BERGMEISTER: It’s definitely not as many cars as in the ALMS but the level I think it just as good. There’s six cars with pro lineups and all factory cars. It’s going to be tough.

Smiley SmileySmiley