Richard Lietz Optimistic Of New Porsche 911 RSR...

(30 March 2013)

Following a challenging first season, which saw his aging Porsche 997-based 911 GT3 RSR outpaced by the competition, Richard Lietz returns to the FIA World Endurance Championship as part of Porsche AG Team Manthey’s new 911 RSR program, and looking to take the fight to Ferrari and Aston Martin.

Lietz will rejoin longtime co-driver, and fellow Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb at the wheel of one of the German squad’s works GTE-Pro entries in the eight-round global championship, which kicks off next month at Silverstone.

With a brand-new car in the 911 RSR, unveiled Thursday at Paul Ricard, the Austrian will have a new challenge at hand in developing the latest GTE contender into a class winner on the world’s stage.

SPEED caught up with Lietz at the world premiere of the 911 RSR to get his thoughts on the car and the season ahead.

Q: What is the biggest change in the 911 RSR for you as a driver?

LIETZ: We’ve tried to develop a more consistent car. Last year we had quite a big drop, especially when it was hot. We lost a lot of time in Bahrain and all of the circuits where we had very high temperature.

The main focus was to try and get the car more consistent. I think we did quite a good job. I’m quite sure we’ll be more consistent.

Q: Does it take a different driving approach?

LIETZ: It’s definitely a 911, as the engine is in the back. It feels a little bit different because of the weight distribution. It’s a lot more to the front now, and it was a big step, over the bumps at Sebring, for example.

It is different to drive. It takes some time to get used to it, or to push the car to the limit. But in the end its very nice.

Q: How has the testing gone so far?

LIETZ: At the end, you’re testing to find the car’s problems. For sure, that’s why we did the tests. I’m quite sure we’ve solved all of them and the car should be ready to race.

Q: Are you looking forward to the battle in GTE-Pro?

LIETZ: It’s going to be a big fight. I’m happy that we are allowed and are able to fight with them. Of course the car is new, so it’s at the beginning of its development. But already now, you feel a lot of changes from the 997 to 991. It was a change in the right direction. So I’m quite sure we’ll be able to fight this time.

In the end, this is the reason why we are here. Last year, it was so difficult to fight with them; it was a little bit frustrating for us. Now if we are able to fight, it gives us more pleasure for us drivers.

Also with Kobayashi and Bruno Senna, there will also perhaps be more media coverage for the championship. I think it’s a big step and WEC is going in the right direction.

Q: Do you think it may be realistic to fight for wins in the first few races?

LIETZ: It’s a full factory, basically, but the factory didn’t do a lot of races last year. I think to give us some time, the first two races, will be important for us to get ready for Le Mans. But in the end, we’ve done a lot of testing and all the people are professionals, so I think we should start on a high level but there will still be stuff to improve.

From all the guys working on the team, the drivers, mechanics, engineers, etc. It’s new for everybody.

Smiley SmileySmiley