I learned the importance of paying attention to the ESP setting status (almost) the hard way:

In my former 997 Turbo (over 560 happy horses), I wanted to make a 90° left turn into a major road and I accelerated only half throttle. The road was a bit slippery (summer, hot, lots of dirt and dust on the road) and instead of doing a 90° turn...I did a 180° one.  Luckily, there was no other car around. What had happened? Well...I was driving with PSM turned off for a while, I can handle it...as long as I know it is turned off. Unfortunately, I forgot about it because there was slow traffic for a couple of km, so I mentally "exited" my "sport mode" and entered into "comfort/relaxing mode". From that time on, I always check my ESP status before I drive sportier, just to be safe. 

Now we probably know why Porsche doesn't offer a possibility to keep the last status and/or to choose the ESP status permanently. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4