RC:
911rox:
RC:

2. I doubt that Porsche would be dumb enough to put their reputation on the line for some easy cost saving.

Ummmm, they already have with us 997.2 owners. The gave us CLs preaching the motorsport theme, AP told us how they were lighter and would be faster to change and now that they have been proven wrong and wheels are flying all over youtube, their solution to protect their bottom line is that they'll pass the cost of replacement onto customers every 7000kms. Obviously the latest wheel fixing technology was not better then the former. And they obviously don't care enough about their reputation to right their wrong and keep their customers safe.

And you're sure this won't be the case with the new motor, pdk, rear steering or CLs for that matter? Really?

I would not be believing blindly in Porsche doing right by customers in this day and age wen VW whom own and control them have big loans to pay and money to make...Smiley

The CL issues have been (re)solved, not sure why you mention it again. Porsche STREET CARS are not for racing and it isn't Porsche faults that some people apparently use modded street cars for racing. There is a difference between track fun and racing. Actually racing is not permitted according to Porsche's warranty regulations.

In my opinion, Porsche keeps customers safe but of course we could discuss this all day long. My experience with them has been pretty good so far.

As to VW's ownership, you are wrong. I don't understand why so many people, especially outside Germany, view VW's involvement with Porsche with so much discomfort? Smiley VW is actually a quality brand over here, I know their reputation in other parts of the world isn't that great but people are wrong. 

RC, the Porsche marketing machine has led you to believe that the issue is resolved. You obviously don't own a CL car. You certainly don't know the facts... So I will school all you guys looking to buy a CL car so you can't say you didn't know.

Firstly, the Porsche marketing and propaganda:

-CL are motorsport derived

- they are lighter than the traditional 5 lug system

- they allow for faster wheel changes

- all CL issues were resolved after Porsche replaced a few hundred suspect sets on early GT3s

These were all claims made by AP in his 2010 GT3 launch, marketing or facts?

The FACTS:

- CLs are motorsport derived yes but the particular system they've adopted for street cars can't even withstand track use.

-they are in fact heavier than the 5 lug system and in fact the wheels require extra strengthening and are therefore heavier too

- wheel changes require a PhD in wheel changing, advanced disassembly, greasing and re-assembly to have a chance of getting to the required torque correctly. They are not faster to swap and can't be fitted with pneumatic tools.

Furthermore:

- all previous GT cars and even all other Porsches with 5 lug systems do NOT have a maintenance schedule for their hubs. All centrelock cars now do as of THREE MONTHS ago...

- Porsche conceded after 3 long years that there is an issue although they will not admit it. The early GT3 were fitted with a weaker hub and were recalled to have the latest part fitted.

- Three years ago when these cars were released to market, they were required to be torqued to 500Nm. 6 months later it was identified they were coming loose at the track and this was increased to 600Nm. Damaged components were replaced/

- Three years on and after more than a dozen cars have lost a left rear wheel, they final recall to put "the stronger RS" hubs on these cars. Most of these cars were in the hands of regular guys like all of us, not modified street racing cars as you put it...

- At that point it is decided that these "strong hubs" are now only good for 7000 track kms rather than than for life as per the previous system. Rather than redesign and recall ALL cars to fit a new hub that doesn't fail, Porsche have passed the buck onto customers stating that they must replace hubs per a newly set schedule or expect possible wheel losses.

- Customers are now expected to pay between US$4000 and $10000 every 7000 track kms (or 40-50hr use) to replace hubs, bolts, bearings and uprights or risk a wheel loss resulting in a totalled vehicle or loss of life. A cup car doesn't even have this stringent a schedule and it is being raced, abused and having wheels zapped on and off with rattle guns!!! Does this sound like a resolved CL issue to you? Does this sound like a company standing behind newly adopted technology? Does this sound like an acceptable solution to a problem Porsche created and 3 years on, customers are expected to foot the bill? If the new wheel fixing system wasn't better than the old system in EVERY way, it shouldn't be standard fitment on the most tracked cars in their range, FULL STOP.

- A responsible company would redesign the hubs out of stronger material and thicken them up and then recall all vehicles to update and resolve a life threatening issue. Instead there are about 5000 ticking time bombs circling streets and tracks. Best to do your homework if you plan on buying a CL equiped car that you hope to visit the track with... And you guys want to put faith in Porsche to deliver and stand by a car with a new engine, pdk, CLs and rear steering? Best of luck! Consider yourselves now informed about the facts with the ONGOING CL saga....Smiley