RC:
Porker:

Controversial title, what do you guys think?

"Why 'GT3' is now a trim level, not a statement of intent"

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=133&i=27280

It had to happen. Smiley The new GT3 has unleashed a lot of controversial discussions. The PDK only strategy and the new engine, which is based on the Carrera S engine, kind of stirred up emotions. I also think that the fact that the new GT3 weights actually a little bit more than the Carrera S is also an issue here. Die hard GT3 addicts may not be happy with this car but to be honest, I don't quite understand why. Yes, Porsche hasn't raced the new GT3 yet and the technology may not be race-proof yet but overall, the new GT3 seems to be a very fine product and considering the price tag, I compared it to a fully optioned Carrera S, the new GT3 is quite the offer.

hi RC,

I thought the new engine is completely new except a few bolts...? You list everything..I dislike..but you write - you dont understand us..? Why?

The big plus of the GT3..is the price..you correctly noted that. Its almost a bargain..it can probably (maybe if its just the case) destroy a 458 ..and for half price - this is phenomenal. Also, it wouldnt make any sense to spec a 991S high up..because for same money you get a GT3..and if the demand and supply are well regulated..prices of 991 GT3s might be quite firm..opposed to normal 991S prices. Another reasone pro 991 GT3. With this relatively low price of the 991 GT3..a 991S makes even less sense..in fact I ruled it out completely..it doesnt exist anymore for me - even i theory. But for me it also shows - again - that the 991S is just too expensive..

The price is the big plus of the car..(although already a sharp increase from 997.2 GT3)..however, as you write correctly, no racing experience..is a big - VERY BIG minus for GT3. After all we are talking about a GT3.-.a racing version of the 911.

Porsche needs to put this engine now as quickly as possible in a 991 CUP or RSR..and win the 24h Le Mans..then many critics will disappear..I think that you can understand this or?Smiley

If the engine doesnt show up very soon..then there is no link between racing and GT3 anymore..it has no "raison d´etre" anymore then..